We receive a lot of mail asking questions about cannabis oil which we are more than happy to answer. However, in this article we hope to address some of the more common inquiries such as whether cannabis oil cures cancer? Cannabis oil how to use it; cannabis oil for vape pens; cannabis oil legal status; and cannabis oil CBD content.
One of the most common queries is where to get the oil and can you buy cannabis oil online? Hopefully this post can save you time and assist with your research into the amazing potential of this cannabis plant extract.
Cannabis oil is a thick, viscous substance that is extracted from cannabis plant buds (flowers). Only the female plants produces the buds, male plants do produce small flowers but these are of no use for cannabinoid extraction and only serve to fertilize the females.
Males are removed from cannabis crops that are cultivated for cannabinoid content as fertilized females cease resin production and devote their energies into seed development. Unfertilized female flowers have a far greater cannabinoid content and are known as ‘sensimelia’ from the Spanish meaning seedless.
There are currently over 110 separate cannabinoids that have been identified in the cannabis plant.
CBD has actually been shown to modify or calm down the psychoactive effect of THC and both have shown encouraging potential as anti-cancer agents in laboratory testing.
Cannabinoids THC and CBD
During the mid 70’s the main focus for breeders was the recreational market and strains were selectively bred to contain higher amounts of THC and a lower CBD content. CBD is now being progressively bred back into strains as its medical potential becomes realized.
Cannabis oil differs from other forms of extract such as dabs, resins and hashish preparations. It is far more concentrated than hashish and resins but has a comparable cannabinoid content to dabs and shatters, generally returning test results of around 80% purity. Cannabis oil is not by and large used recreationally and has many medicinal uses.
Is cannabis oil legal?
Cannabis oil that is made from isolated CBD is legal in most countries. THC is the main psychoactive compound in cannabis and any oil containing this will be classed as illegal in most countries that have not relaxed restrictions on the medical use of cannabis.
CBD alone is not suitable for treating chronic illness. The evidence so far is that full spectrum (basically an oil made from whole cannabis plants not isolated extracts) is far more effective. The cannabinods appear to work in symbiosis and the mechanism behind this is still not fully understood.
Sativex is available on prescription; marketed by GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK and is basically a tincture made from cannabis plants. They isolate THC and CBD in the laboratory, it does not contain any of the other 100 plus cannabinoids available in the plants and is not classed as a full spectrum extract. In a recent clinical trial with cancer patients it failed to have any effect and showed no difference in results from tests carried out on patients from the same group who took a placebo. It comes as no surprise to the medical marijuana community as we have been promoting the use of full spectrum oils for many years.
Cannabis oil CBD content
The CBD content of any cannabis oil is wholly dependant on the strain used. If the oil is made from a strain known to be high in THC then this will be the predominant cannabinoid in the resultant oil.
Cannabis oil made from strains bred to be higher in CBD, such as Shark Shock from the CBD crew which has a 1:1 THC/CBD profile will show exactly the same 1:1 profile in the oil made from it.
Where to get cannabis oil legally?
If you wish to purchase a CBD only cannabis oil it is possible to purchase this legally almost anywhere in the World.
Many suppliers will sell you CBD oils online, they are however expensive and of variable strengths and purity.
If you live in a country that has legalized the use of medical cannabis then you will firstly need to register as a patient and receive a medical marijuana card.
This will enable you to buy THC rich full spectrum medications from associations and medical marijuana dispensaries. If you have to resort to purchasing full spectrum oil illegally then please read this post before making any decisions. Link
Can I buy cannabis oil online Amazon or eBay?
It depends, currently only hemp oil is offered for sale. You certainly wont be able to purchase full spectrum cannabis oil legally online. However there are companies selling CBD oil extractsand they are available but ery expensive – please refer to the above answer.
It is possible to purchase cannabinoid preparations legally online and websites will have oils and tinctures advertised for sale, but these will only be CBD based preparations and they are not cheap. Full spectrum medications will not be legally available, particularly through major online retailers.
Cannabis oil cures cancer?
There is no doubt that cannabis use can reduce chemotherapy-related pain and other symptoms such as vomiting and nausea in patients. It has been a legally available medicine for cancer patients in the Netherlands for several years now.
Other more exciting research has shown cannabinoids can uniquely target and kill cancer cells and many scientific studies indicate the potential use of cannabinoids in the fight against cancer.
Experiments carried out on cell lines in vitro (means lab experiments) and on animal models in vivo (means living) have shown that phytocannabinoids, endocannabinoids and even some synthetic cannabinoids can lead to a halt and in many cases reversal of the growth of many tumor types.
This works by utilizing a cytostatic effect (means toxic to cells, or cell killing) and thereby stopping neo-angiogenesis (formation of blood vessel in tumor tissue) and the ability of cells to metastasize (spread). Cannabis is not a miracle cure and more research is needed but there is a great deal of anecdotal evidence from cancer patients who have self medicated with cannabis oil and its has demonstrated remarkable results. Cannabinoids – a new weapon against cancer?
Cannabis oil how to use it?
If you are self medicating to treat a cancerous tumor or growth then the consensus is a 90 day treatment program followed by a lesser maintenance dose that is regulated according to scan and test results works best.
The best method of administration has been shown to be rectally as a suppository. This method bypasses the liver and thereby avoids the psychoactive effect of the THC molecules on the brain (patients don’t feel stoned).
It also makes more of the cannabinoids available as it is a far more efficient method of absorption.
When treating skin cancer, psoriasis or serious burns etc. the cannabis oil is simply applied topically to the affected area. The oil is generally warmed slightly to aid in application and absorption.
Oral ingestion is fine, it will however have a more psychoactive effect on the user. Oral ingestion can be simply placing the cannabis oil into the mouth, generally under the tongue, or it can be administered in capsule form.
Tinctures are cannabinoid preparations that have been mixed and diluted with either alcohol, glycerine or a vegetable oil and these are taken orally.
Cannabis oil for vape pens
For the pen to be effective, the oil should not be too thick and viscous, if the oil has been stored in a fridge then allow it to warm to room temperature before using.
Vape pens heat to approximately 205 °C (400 °F). This allows the user to inhale pure vapor without any additional toxins that can be caused by traditional combustion methods.
Some vape pens only work with dry cannabis plant material (buds) others are designed to work only with waxes and oils. Some vape pens require specialized cannabis formulas, known as THC or CBD e-liquids. So if you are choosing to ape cannabis oil ensure that your chosen vape pen has the ability to utilize this form of extract. Most vape pens work best with cannabis concentrates (oils and waxes).
Cannabis oil how to make it safely
It is a fairly straightforward procedure to make cannabis oil but extreme care must be taken as the fumes produced by evaporating the solvents used are highly flammable.
All extraction should be carried out in the open, do not extract inside. Wear protective gloves and clothing when extracting. Goggles and a chemical mask are advised when working with any solvents.
Rick Simpson pioneered the medical use of cannabis oil and this is his tried and tested technique. He advocates high sativa strains, we tend to recommend higher CBD content. Re posted courtesy of Rick Simpson. More information is available on his website: Phoenix Tears.
1. Place the starting material in a bucket of enough depth to prevent the solvent oil mix from splashing out during the washing process. Then, dampen the bud with the solvent being used and then crush the bud material using a length of wood such as a piece of 2×2.
After the bud has been crushed, add more solvent until the bud material is completely immersed in the solution.
2. Then slowly pour the solvent-oil mix off into another clean container, leaving the starting material in the original container so that it can be washed for the second time. To perform the second wash, add fresh solvent to the starting bud material again, until it is once more immersed in the solvent, and then work it for another three to four minutes, with the piece of wood you have been using. If using organic ethanol, the second washing would take another month and could be used for another batch later.
3. Use something such as clean water containers, with a small opening at the top and insert funnels into the openings, then put large coffee filters in the funnels. Pour the solvent-oil mix from the first and second washes, into the coffee filters and allow the solvent-oil mix to drain into the containers, which are holding the funnels and filters to remove any unwanted plant material, etc.
The more funnels and containers you use, the faster the solvent oil mix will be filtered.
5. It is best to burn off the solvent with a rice cooker because it boils at the perfect temperature to remove solvent and water, and keeps the cannabinoids intact. If a rice cooker is working properly, it will automatically come off the high heat setting at roughly 210 to 230°F or (100 to110°C), which is above the temperature where most people say decarboxylation is said to occur.
6. Then fill the rice cooker until it is about three-quarters full of solvent oil mix, this allows room for the solvent oil mix to boil off without splashing over. Place the rice cooker on its high heat setting and then begin boiling the solvent off. Never attempt to do this without the use of a fan or laboratory ventilation hood, since the solvent fumes could accumulate and if they come into contact with the heating element within the rice cooker, it could cause these fumes to ignite.
7. As the level in the rice cooker drops, continue to add carefully the solvent oil mix you have remaining, until you have nothing left. When the level in the rice cooker comes down for the last time and has been reduced to about two inches of solvent oil mix remaining. Add about 10 to 12 drops of water to the solvent oil mix, which remains in the rice cooker. This small amount of water allows the remaining solvent, to boil off the oil that remains in the rice cooker more readily and it also helps to cleanse the oil of solvent residue, as the last of the solvent is being boiled off.
8. As the last of the solvent is being boiled off, you will hear a crackling sound from the oil that is left in the cooker, and you will see quite a bit of bubbling taking place in the oil that remains. Also, you will notice what looks like a small amount of smoke coming from the oil in the rice cooker, but don’t be concerned, since this is mostly just steam produced from the few drops of water that you added.
After the rice cooker has automatically switched to its low heat setting, let it cool until it can be changed to the high heat setting again.
10. Take the oil that you poured into the stainless steel measuring cup and put it on a gentle heating device such as a coffee warmer or electric heating plate to evaporate off whatever water remains in the oil. Quite often, it only takes a short time to evaporate the remaining water off, but also some strains produce more natural terpenes and flavonoids than others. These terpenes and flavonoids can cause the oil you now have on the coffee warmer to bubble for quite some time and it may take a while for such oils to cease this activity.
11. When the oil on the coffee warmer has little or no bubbling activity visible, take the oil off the coffee warmer and allow it to cool a bit, after which it can be drawn up into the plastic syringes for use.
If you need any advice or help please use the contact form provided. We try to answer all emails within 24 hours and are happy to help and advise on all aspects of medical marijuana treatments in complete confidence.